Lost...
When one goes lighthousing, or anything-ing, it is inevitable that one will, at least once, get lost. It's a fact of life. We get lost.
One of the worst times that I got lost was in Bridgeport, CT in August 2003 when we were seeing the lights of CT, RI, and Buzzards Bay. We were trying to find the Fayerweather Island Light. I had Kenneth Kochel's America's Atlantic Coast Lighthouses: A Traveler's Guide, and I had Streets & Trips maps. The latter, however, did not mark one-way streets.
We got lost. Everywhere we looked was another dreaded black sign with the white arrow and "ONE WAY". ONE WAY. ONE WAY. ONE WAY.
Finally, we found the right park. And...it was closed. There was a notice on the sign that said that it was closed for West Nile investi. Great, just what we needed.
Well, there was one more Bridgeport light, Tongue Point. We followed Kochel to where it would be. All was going great until we came to the bridge, which was closed for repairs. Looking at logs from others' trips, it looks like it is in a state of eternal construction. UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH!
Exasperated with Connecticut's largest city, we turned around and headed to the next light. I saw Tongue Point from I-95 heading out of town, but I have yet to lay eyes on Fayerweather Island.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home