My mnemonic device...
I am currently reading Edward Rowe Snow's A Pilgrim Returns to Cape Cod, his personal account of his 7-week hike along the Cape in 1946 from Provincetown to Chatham (looping around the "bicep" of the Cape first). I have finished the Ptown chapter, and am now on Truro. After going to the Cape a few weeks ago, I wanted to make a mnemonic device to remember the towns of the Cape.
A mnemonic device is a quirky sentence or acronym to remember something. An example would be HOMES for the Great Lakes:
H - Huron
O - Ontario
M - Michigan
E - Erie
S - Superior
So, I came up with this sentence for Cape Cod, the towns, starting Bourne, looping around the "fat" part of the Cape, then toward Ptown:
Big - Bourne
Free - Falmouth
Woodsmen - Woods Hole
Make - Mashpee
Strange - Sagamore
Signals - Sandwich
But - Barnstable
Happy - Hyannis
Yardsmen - Yarmouth
Don't - Dennis
Have - Harwich
Cheese - Chatham
But - Brewster
Often - Orleans
Eat - Eastham
With - Wellfleet
Their - Truro
Phones - Provincetown
That's right: Big free woodsmen make strange signals but happy yardsmen don't have cheese but often eat with their phones.
Crazy. I know. But now I can remember the towns of Cape Cod! And maybe you will, too, after reading this. A delve into the mind of Greg. ::rolleyes::
1 Comments:
Interesting Greg! A little insight into your thinking. Funny observation coincidences on 'Bonus Lights' and 'Plymouth Pebble'. lol
Post a Comment
<< Home