Thursday, November 25, 2004

Plymouth Rock...this is a rock?

As a Thanksgiving celebration, I am going to tie my lighthousing to a very important part of American history: Plymouth Rock.

When I was in Massachusetts earlier this month, we were looking for Duxbury Pier Light in Plymouth. The place where we got our photos was at Plymouth Rock. Well, you can't come to the Rock and not see it!

Since I first learned about Plymouth Rock in Kindergarten, I have always thought it was a huge boulder, proud and stately, jutting into the water. Some place the Pilgrims landed at...like a port unto itself.

I was in for a surprise:



Yep, that's the rock. My 7-year-old idea was shattered. It's a big pebble! Forget about landing AT that, the Mayflower probably sailed over it!

When I got home, some Googling told me that much of the rock is underground. Also, in the 1700s and 1800s, many souvenir takers chipped parts off of it, making it even smaller. Nonetheless, it's...TINY!

Here's wishing you all a Happy Thanksiving filled with family, friends and LOTS AND LOTS OF FOOD! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home