I'm back.....and in need of lighthouses...
I just looked at this blog and saw I havn't updated it since April. I can't believe it...I got so busy with school and such. But I have some new things to talk about, so Greg's Lighthousing Adventures is back.
I've gone on two lighthousing trips this summer - sailing to Block Island to see its two lights, and "lighthousing with the MTA," taking the subway and aerial tramway to see Roosevelt Island, NY Light. Two great trips! I'll detail them more in the coming weeks.
I've also been working on the companion website to this blog, which should launch in a couple months....maybe around New Year's. It's going to be great....detailed travelogs of all my trips. More to come on that too.
I've even been designing the new website for the New Jersey Lighthouse Society. We're hoping to launch that in a month or too.
But right now, I've been a little depressed. I have this need for a long, car-based lighthousing trip. I havn't been on one since November, 2004. Although I have been on two GREAT trips since then, neither of them have had that one element of the car-based trip that I love. The part that has you driving down the roads and highways of America, to places only Lighthousers and locals (if that) go. The walk to the shore, the first glance of the light coming around the bend....
And then there's all that time we spend in the Land Rover. Discovering new radio stations. Learning new facts from Kochel. Talking about everything from the idiot in front of us to hour-long conversations on the history of the Queen Elizabeth 2 (both actual lighthousing conversations). The point where I get so fed up with everything falling in the footwell that I finally clean the car.
I'm working on my parents to take a short daytrip to Staten Island to see its lights. I keep pushing the "five hours and I'll stop bugging you for a month" and "it's only eighty miles - we'll barely use any petrol!" (I never thought that would be a persuasion to take a lighthouse trip!) I just need to have that car-based trip.
Who knows. Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are coming up. Both are days off from school. Since I'm not Jewish, that means two wonderful mid-week days off from school....who knows?
Until next time....
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home